Friday, July 22, 2011

Hand in Hand


I walked along future's beaten path,
wanting to stop and walk away.
I had all but given up,
a task for another day.

When up ahead I saw a weary soul,
trying to reach the very same goal.
Head held down,
without a sound,
shallow steps on the hot cruel ground.

Slowly I walked up by his side,
when he looked over at me,
I could tell he had cried.
The tears had made a darkened swell,
his troubled eyes told of his personal hell.

I touched his hand in mine,
and we continued to walk,
where all around was not a sound,
and neither of us talked.
We knew the path that must be taken,
and we were not alone,
for I knew that I would make it now,
with the friend that I was shown.

Straight on ahead toward the horizon,
without another worry.
I was walking hand in hand with time,
and with him I could not hurry.

Diana Nelson 2002

0 comments:

Post a Comment